Friday, July 1, 2011

What the junk : MTH Challenge Day 1




NOTE: For those of you who just joined us, I am interrupting the blog for some business owner confessions. We all have dreams, mine is to own a successful boudoir photography business. This is my journey through the Make Things Happen Challenge, I hope you will challenge your self and follow your dreams!

Day one of the challenge is clear the clutter. The first thing that came to mind when I read this was not just physical clutter in my home, but mental clutter. My mind is like a hamster on a wheel, constantly spinning with to do lists, ideas or did I remember to turn the curling iron off this morning (thank goodness for the self timed safety feature).  I found the exercise of downloading everything on your mind to be refreshing. Ten minutes I sat down with my business journal to write… the first three minutes I was fine. Words, lists, a few sentences, there are no rules to what you do in those 10 minutes. Then… nothing. Suddenly my hamster wheel of a brain stopped moving. Clearing the mental clutter I feel is just as important as clearing physical clutter but for me it’s not just giving your self time to write everything going on in that big beautiful brain, but also to not think.
Just days before getting the invitation to do the challenge I had came back from a vacation to Thailand. Besides being amazing beautiful I learned something in Thailand, to relax. Part of downloading for me is clearing all the ideas spinning around in my head by writing it down but also just sitting quietly for a while to think of pure nothing. Before my trip to Thailand I rarely ever stopped, constantly I ran a marathon in my brain but in Thailand I finally stopped. I sat down. I did nothing. An entire day I would spend listening to the turquoise ocean waves, watching the clouds roll by and watching the little crabs be crabs. This may seem like a step backwards, but for me it was a huge step forward. Thinking of nothing actually allowed me to think of new, fresh, better ideas. Now you don’t have to go to Thailand to download. When I’m home I still watch the clouds, I just admire them looking at their shape, texture, their color at sunset or how the sun shines through them. I also download by listening to music in another language. Edith Paif is my favorite. I know some French but I don’t try to translate it, I just get lost in the beauty of the music. I don’t focus on the words because the purpose is not the think (which is why I choose something that isn’t English). Go Tan Project is another foreign music group that is amazing to just get lost in!
Good luck clearing the physical and mental “junk” in your life. Of course beautiful ideas are not “junk”, but if those beautiful ideas are locked up and getting lost… A beautiful mind is a shame to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment